San Francisco – Napa Valley Excursion

As soon as we booked our San Francisco trip I knew we just had to go on a wine tasting tour to Napa Valley! I scoured the internet and after having to push aside my dream of riding the Wine Train (sad face) we settled on a Grayline tour booked on the Viator website: Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour.

Tuesday
We set off at 9am, drove over Golden Gate Bridge and onwards to Sonoma where our first stop was at the Cline winery for a taste of five wines; two white, one rosรฉ and two red:

We ended up purchasing a bottle of the Cashmere Black Magic to bring home with us and can’t wait to crack it open someday soon.

Onwards to Napa Valley and the Madonna Estate Winery was next, a family run business which specialises in Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, although they do plant other grapes also. On arrival we were shown to the barrel room for a glass of Chardonnay then whisked off to their tasting area for another five tasters, ranging in all colours. The final glass was my favourite so we nabbed a bottle of that too to enjoy back in the UK.

Two tastings down and it’s time for lunch, our lovely tour guide/driver gives us the run of Yountville and we decide to descend onย Hurley’s for a bite to eat and a mooch around the town in the sunshine.

The third and final stop of the day was the Andretti Wineryย which as you can probably guess is owned by an Italian, Mario Andretti to be precise, and a nod to his heritage is clear in the architecture of the buildings on the estate.

We sampled six wines at this location then wondered around taking in the location (and wine) in the sun. As with all of the sites unfortunately because we were coming out of winter the vines were far from in bloom, however you still get the full effect ๐Ÿ™‚ Saying that though, I’d like to visit other wineries in the summer season before harvesting.

Once back in the city we visited Millers Rest which is located very close to where we were staying and was perfectly convenient for a bite to eat and a cold beer.

Fancy reading more of my San Francisco series? Catch up on Part 1 hereย and Part 2 here.

Share:

22 Comments

1. Taylor Johns
    April 18, 2018 / 4:25 pm

I would also love to do the wine train but alas it stays on my bucket list. I love a good wine tasting and tour, it looks like you chose a good one! Cheers!

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:42 am

I’m determined to do the Wine Train one day! We’ll get there ๐Ÿ™‚

2. thattexascouple2015
    April 18, 2018 / 4:53 pm

This sounds like an absolute dream day!! Wine tours are one of our favorite things about traveling. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience!

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:42 am

Absolutely! I’m just trying to figure out which vineyards to visit next!

3. April 18, 2018 / 5:32 pm

Beautiful photos! I have always wanted to visit the area and this is a great guide in doing so. Def going to check out the places on this list!

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:43 am

Yes do and let me know if you visit any ๐Ÿ™‚

4. April 19, 2018 / 12:53 am

This seems like such a lovely part of the country. I enjoy Napa Valley wines and I’ve been to San Francisco, but I’ve never been on a wine tour there. I’d like to go to the Andretti winery because I think the Italian look is really pretty.

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:43 am

The buildings were so stunning, I’m sure you’d love it!

5. April 19, 2018 / 2:12 am

Napa is a little ways away from San Francisco hahaha. I’ve only been to the Napa area a couple times even though I’m from the Bay Area. If you get the chance to go again, I recommend you try a restaurant in Sonoma called Della Santina’s. It is amazing Italian food ๐Ÿ™‚ One of those places where you can’t go wrong.

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:44 am

It sure is, but it’s part of my SF series ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the tip, I’m determined to visit again so will add it to be list!

6. April 19, 2018 / 3:30 am

I love a good wine tasting tour especially when I remember to take a bottle of my favourite home (sometimes too tipsy to remember haha!) I’ve always wanted to visit San Fran and now I have a little day trip inspo I can enjoy also! Thanks for this post!

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:45 am

I can highly recommend it!!

7. adrienroute
    April 19, 2018 / 4:39 am

I visited SF in September and took a side trip to Napa and Somona – your post is making me so nostalgic! I had such a wonderful time here. The landscape is beautiful! Looks like you went to some great wineries – how cool that you got to go behind the scenes at the Madonna Estate Winery!

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:48 am

It’s the most wonderful city isn’t it! And the amount of day trips you can do from there is amazing!

8. April 19, 2018 / 5:03 am

Napa valley is so pretty any time of the year but my favorite is in the fall when everything lights up with color. Miles of wineries on rolling hills turn all shades of yellow, orange, red and green. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:48 am

Wow that sounds just beautiful, I’d definitely like to return in another season ๐Ÿ™‚

9. April 19, 2018 / 7:14 am

Looks like you had a great time. I personally love to visit brewery or winery to see how the stuff is made. And i am definitely googling wine train – i would someday love to get on it!

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 8:49 am

Yes do google it, you’ll instantly want to book though so beware!!

10. April 19, 2018 / 11:35 am

Oh man! Wine tasting is pure joy! Napa Valley has been one of the places I wish to try sometime.. for the love of wine! i am glad you enjoyed your beautiful wine tour! Oh the pictures look so decadent.. ๐Ÿ˜

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 19, 2018 / 1:53 pm

Thanks Kanika, it was fab! I’d highly recommend it ๐Ÿ™‚

11. authenticfoodquest
    April 20, 2018 / 4:44 am

Love Napa Valley. I’ve been to Cline winery before and loved it. The Cashmere Black Magic wine sounds divine. What a fun day of wining and dinning!!

• lpowell321
      Author
      April 20, 2018 / 9:55 am

It’s so nice isn’t it! We certainly are looking forward to opening the Cashmere Black Magic however I feel like we need to save it fora special occasion!!