San Francisco – Yosemite Excursion

Time for another day trip outside of San Francisco, this time far far away to Yosemite (yes, it is doable in a day trip!)…

Thursday
After a little research we booked the Total Yosemite Experience℠ & Giant Sequoias tour with Extramomical Tours, mostly due to the fact it was one of the smaller tours on offer. I didn’t fancy visiting such a beautiful park on a huge coach so this suited us well.

We were picked up by our driver and tour guide, the lovely Gino, at the hotel before 6am to get on the road nice and early. Gino gave us some local history along the way and information about our day, and after a couple hours we stopped for a break and to pick up snacks / lunch before starting to climb (and it’s quite a climb, even in an automatic bus!) towards Yosemite National Park.

If you visit October – May you are unlikely to be able to hike to the Tuolumne Giant Sequoia grove as it’ll still be covered in snow, unfortunately this happened for us but we weren’t expecting to be able to so weren’t too disheartened. Instead we worked our way towards Tunnel View for our first stop inside the Park; I think this views speak for itself:

Next up we stop for various views incl. Bridalveil Falls and Half Dome:

During the lunch break we got free time to explore as we wished; CLB and I decided to walk to Yosemite Falls, the tallest waterfall in North America. It was pretty busy as you can expect but was incredible, I can still hear how powerful the water is!

We re-boarded the bus and headed towards a viewing point for El Capitan where we tried to spot rock climbers and despite being devoid of binoculars just about managed it. After this there were a couple more stops for photo opportunities before we started the descent from the Sierras.

As we headed back to San Francisco we had another rest break to grab a bite to eat and stretch our legs. It was pitch black by the time we got back to the city which was absolutely perfect for one final stop, at Treasure Island for a perfect night time view of the skyline:

The tour concluded back at our hotel and after such a jam packed day we pretty much just collapsed in a very happy heap! We had the most wonderful day and were completely in awe walking and driving around the park, the dream would be to return one day where we could stay a few nights, and to hike each day, perhaps rock climb too and fully take in the beauty of the place.

San Francisco: Out & About (Part 3) available here…or catch up on my other San Fran posts here

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply simondana1985 May 1, 2018 at 11:18 am

This is so beautiful! I cannot wait to visit it. One day….

• Reply lpowell321 May 1, 2018 at 11:27 am

I think it is possibly the most beautiful place I’ve been! I hope you get to visit it too, it’s just wonderful, and I might come along for the ride!!

• Reply alba May 3, 2018 at 9:21 am

Wow!! Your pictures are really amazing. It must be an awesome place, hopefully I’ll be able to go soon! It’s such a great adventure to enter nature in such a wild and beautiful state.

• Reply lpowell321 May 3, 2018 at 9:44 am

I hope you get to visit too, it’s a must see one day!!

• Reply Kirstin | the tinberry travels (@tinberrytravels) May 3, 2018 at 10:07 am

I had a short visit to Yosemite National Park on my travels too! I wish I could have explored for longer but this seems like a great option if you’re short on time. That bus is amazing I’ve never seem one like that!

• Reply lpowell321 May 3, 2018 at 10:22 am

It’s great isn’t it, I wonder if it perhaps used to be a yellow school bus like they have in the USA!

• Reply Maike May 3, 2018 at 10:19 am

Sounds like an amazing day trip! The landscape looks so amazing; especially the waterfall. I love waterfalls so much.

• Reply lpowell321 May 3, 2018 at 10:23 am

Not only do the look awesome, the sounds they made were wonderful too!

• Reply madhu-on-the-go May 3, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Yosemite is on my bucket list from long, hope to make it some day. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics.

• Reply lpowell321 May 3, 2018 at 12:44 pm

I’m sure you will and it’ll be so worth it 🙂

• Reply Planes, Trains and Champagne May 3, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Wow. This is absolutely beautiful! Your pictures really bring everything to life! Would love to visit one day!

• Reply lpowell321 May 3, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Ah that’s lovely to hear, thanks! I hope you get to visit 🙂

• Reply lola May 3, 2018 at 1:57 pm

It’s been a dream of mine to visit Yosemite since I was a little girl and your gorgeous post just resparked that passion!

• Reply lpowell321 May 4, 2018 at 11:20 am

I really hope that dream comes true!

• Reply Richa May 4, 2018 at 2:51 pm

I visited Yosemite as a weekend trip and felt i was rushing it. You managed to see so much in 1 day!! 🙂 It’s one of my favorite parks.

• Reply lpowell321 May 4, 2018 at 2:54 pm

I think you could stay a week and still not see the whole place! I do wish we’d done at least an overnight stay but we just didn’t have the time unfortunately.

• Reply Lydia May 11, 2018 at 12:09 pm

I would have never thought that it is possible to explore Yosemite in just one day. Your itinerary makes it so possible, Lizzie! When’s the best time to visit Yosemite and go hiking there?

• Reply lpowell321 May 12, 2018 at 9:22 am

One day is possible if you are on an organised tour but you do see a teeny tiny amount of the park. If you want to go hiking I’d recommend going for a few days and stay in the super cute cabins available there. I’d recommend going in late spring or summer, as you’ll then be able to access the everywhere as there shouldn’t be any weather based closures to the higher points.